The Benefits of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (Lap Band Surgery)
Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, often known as Lap Band surgery, is a weight loss surgery procedure that uses an adjustable silicone band to divide the stomach into two pouches, or sections. The band can be tightened, loosened, or removed depending on the patient’s weight loss progress. This procedure has a number of benefits on its own and when compared to other bariatric surgical procedures.
- Slow and Steady Weight Loss – Lap-Band surgery is growing in popularity not only in Saginaw, but worldwide because it offers slow and steady weight loss. The band can be adjusted when a patient’s weight loss has slowed or plateaued.
- Faster Recovery – Because Lap-band surgery is less invasive than some other weight loss surgery procedures, patients are usually ready to go home either the day of their surgery or the next day; patients typically are able to go back to work within a week.
- Safety – Because there is no bypass of the intestines or stomach with Lap-Band surgery, there are no nutritional issues to contend with as there can be with other bariatric procedures, such as gastric band surgery. According to the Obesity Action Coalition, Lap Band surgery has a risk of death that is 0.1 percent or less.
- Better Overall Health – People who have been able to lose weight as a result of surgery usually find that their overall health improves after the weight begins to disappear. Many weight loss surgery patients note that their obesity-related conditions such as high blood pressure, arthritis, type-2 diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and gastroesophageal disease get better, and in some cases their medications can be discontinued.
- Improved Quality of Life – Along with significant weight loss, improved mobility, energy and a better overall sense of well-being are common with bariatric surgery.
- Longer Life – Because so many serious conditions are related to being overweight and obese, obesity can reduce life expectancy by five to 20 years.