The Realize Band Revision Surgery
The Realize Band is a second most popular gastric band after the LAP-BAND. Although many people had great success with the Realize band, like Lap band it has ben more difficult to avoid complications with the band in the months and years following surgery.
If not properly adjusted and all follow up appointments kept, the chances of a problem with Realize Band is higher than other weight loss surgeries. At present a failure rate of around 20-30% is not uncommon.
Dr Taylor counsels patients with Realize Band problems to consider a revisionary procedure to either sleeve gastrectomy or roux en Y gastric bypass.
What is the Realize Band?
The Realize band is an adjustable gastric band placed around the upper portion of the stomach to create a pouch that restricts the amount of food that you can eat at one time.
Benefits of the Realize gastric band include:
- High-volume, low-pressure balloon. This sophisticated balloon design helps reduce the risk of tissue trauma
- Widest band available. The Realize gastric band is 23 mm wide, which reduces the risk of band slippage and additional surgeries to correct the problem.
- Lowest leak rate among gastric bands.
- Port placed without sutures. A patented port applier is used to place the access port during surgery, which can reduce the amount of port site pain and require less time under anesthesia.
- Lowest profile port design. The Realize port is designed to be less visible under the skin, even after you lose weight.
The Realize band offers more than a superior surgical tool, but also a complete lifestyle support system designed to help people make healthy, lasting changes towards a better life.
Gastric Band Risks
As with any surgery, there are risks associated with gastric banding and gastric bypass surgery. Some of the risks specifically associated with gastric banding may include:
- Band slippage or erosion
- Port disconnecting from the tubing
- Band leak
- Esophageal spasm
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Inflammation of the esophagus or stomach
- Port-site infection
Talk to your healthcare team about your individual risk of complication, as well as what you might do to reduce your risks before and after surgery.
Is the Realize Band Right for You?
Although Dr. Taylor often recommends the Realize system as the best weight loss solution, every patient is unique. Dr. Taylor and the entire team at the Taylor Bariatric Institute is committed to helping you choose the weight loss plan that is most appropriate for your personal goals and challenges.